Two Methods to Fix Cannot Play AVI in Windows Media Player
Convert AVI to Windows Media Player Supported Format; Install AVI codec
AVI, as a file format, is supported by Windows Media Player. But from many users' feedback, we can learn that many users have failed to play AVI in Windows Media Player. Well, the reasons behind the failure normally include two ones. One is the video codec compressed AVI is not supported by Windows Media Player or the video codec is not installed on your computer and the other is that you have a corrupted AVI. If your AVI is proved to be corrupted, you need to download or obtain the AVI from other source. If your AVI includes the codecs unsupported by Windows Media Player, you need to follow the two methods below to solve this problem.
Method One: Convert AVI with Avdshare Video Converter
We need to use an AVI to Windows Media Player converter to convert the AVI including the unsupported video codec to Windows Media Player supported AVI, WMV, ASF, etc, to get which done, Avdshare Video Converter comes to help. Except for converting the unsupported AVI to Windows Media Player supported video formats, Avdshare Video Converter also has the following excellent features:
- Convert other unsupported MTS, FLV, MOV, 3GP, MP4, VOB, etc to any version of Windows Media Player supported video formats.
- Convert AVI to any other video formats, like converting AVI to MOV for playing the unsupported AVI on QuickTime, iPhone, iPad, iPod or other Apple devices, converting AVI to MP4, 3GP for playing AVI on Android tablets or mobiles, converting AVI to FLV, WEBM for easily uploading AVI to YouTube, Facebook, etc, converting AVI to MPEG-2 for burning AVI to DVD for any DVD player.
- Convert other video formats, like MP4, MOV, MKV, FLV, WMV, ASF, AVCHD, etc to AVI for using any video format on the AVI compatible devices or media players.
- Convert any unsupported video format to any device, media player or video editor supported video formats.
- Edit AVI, MOV, MP4 or other video formats as per your own needs.
Guide on Converting AVI to Windows Media Player
Follow the guide below to convert the unsupported AVI to any version of Windows Media Player supported video formats.
Make Preparation: Free download AVI to Windows Media Player Converter
Step 1 Add AVI file
Click the "Add file" button to easily add any AVI file to this AVI to Windows Media Player converter. You can also drag and drop the AVI file to this AVI to Windows Media Player converter.
Step 2 Targeted output format setting
Choose AVI or WMV as your output format by clicking "Profile" button > "General Video" category.
Step 3 Start the conversion
Click the "Convert" button to easily convert the unsupported AVI to Windows Media Player supported video formats.
Method Two: Install AVI codec
The reason for failing to play AVI in Windows Media Player is that your computer lacks the needed AVI codec and if we install the missing AVI codec to your Windows computer, your Windows computer can successfully use its default Windows Media Player to play the AVI file. Users can find the missing AVI codec on codecs.com.